The Department of Pediatrics at Noble Hospital, Pune is committed to provide excellence in multidisciplinary, wide-ranging and innovative patient care across all medical specialties.
Noble Hospital, Pune provides state-of-the-art care to children with complex clinical conditions. These services are provided by a dedicated team of experienced and trained experts and specialists in several fields of Paediatrics. Many specialists work together for some children to provide comprehensive care under one roof. We provide a full range inpatient and outpatient clinical services for children and their families to optimize health and well-being.
Services available at the ICH are:
- General Paediatrics
- Paediatric Surgery
- Neonatal intensive care
- Adolescent medicine
- Comprehensive thalassemia care
- Developmental paediatrics
- Emergency medicine
- Intensive care
- Neonatal care
- Neonatal & paediatric cardiac surgery
The Department provides its services broadly in following domains:
- Paediatric General and Specialities OPDs
- Paediatric Emergency Medical Services
- Paediatric Indoor services- Paediatric General Ward, Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
PEDIATRIC OPD SERVICES
Children never stay calm at one place and always are on tip of their toes to stroll around. The large & beautiful play area allows children to play and move around during the waiting time. The OPD and waiting area has been thoughtfully designed by The Director of Paediatrics, Dr. P.D. Pote, keeping in mind the need of space for children and parents both.
Emergency patients are given preference. The appointment system is managed in an effective way to cut down waiting time with equal justice to walk in patients.
Noble Hospital is also extending the Paediatric OPD and Immunization services to kids on daily basis at its Branch, Noble Polyclinic at Destination Centre in Magarpatta City in Pune.
Noble Hospital is Unique in its class for conducting Paediatric OPD even on Sundays as there is no time-bound for kids to become sick. Sunday OPD also provides convenience to the parents who are busy on weekdays for immunising their kids.
The OPD is open every day from 8:00am to 9:00pm (Sunday 9:00am to 3:00pm) and is attended by qualified, experienced and Senior Consultant Paediatricians. In order to minimise inconvenience and waiting period, OPDs are conducted simultaneously in two different chambers, by two consultant paediatricians at a time providing quick service to sick children.
- Paediatric Surgery
- Paediatric Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Paediatric Ophthalmology
- Paediatric Nephrology
- High Risk Infant Clinic
- High Risk Child OPD
- Healthy Baby Clinic
- Immunization Clinic
- Paediatric Nutrition
- Paediatric Psychiatry
- Paediatric ENT
- Paediatric Plastic Surgery
Healthy Baby Clinic
Noble Hospital follows the principle “prevention is better than cure” by conducting comprehensive preventive Healthy baby clinic. It is conducted daily (except Sunday) for healthy babies who are advised to visit their doctor at a specific scheduled time (starting at 4 weeks, then every month for the first 6 months, then every quarter till 2 years, then every 6 months till 12 years of age) for a comprehensive preventive program which includes:
Periodic assessment of their growth (with the help of growth charts), nutritional status and development. It also helps for scheduling their immunizations and addressing parental concerns (like feeding, bathing, massage, frequency of urine and stools, growth, developmental milestones, teething, nutrition, etc.). This OPD provides sufficient time for educating parents for caring their babies during sick period (e.g.: fever control, care of hydration, monitoring for urine output, relieving nasal blockade etc.) And also educating them for assessing danger signs in their children, advising on Breast feeding practices, weaning practices, diet and nutrition.
Healthy baby clinic also gives an opportunity to screen children for early signs of disease (like anaemia, heart murmur, etc.), to conduct their behavioural assessment and counsel them on child psychology and child behaviour related problems.
Immunization, being one of the most precious inventions in human life till date, is an important aspect of Paediatrics, for prevention of diseases in your child. Emphasizing importance of prevention of communicable diseases in your kids, Noble Hospital conducts a separate Immunization clinic, conducted daily including Sundays. Sunday OPD also provides convenience to the parents who are busy on weekdays for immunising their kids.
In Immunization clinic thorough information is given to parents regarding:
- Vaccination schedule for both mandatory and optional vaccines.
- Options of combination vaccines
- Post vaccination care & monitoring
- Possible side effects after vaccines & its management
- Vaccine recommendations in Special situations etc.
Growth & Nutrition
Department of paediatrics Noble hospital in collaboration with Department of Diet and Nutrition conducts a comprehensive programme and counselling sessions of parental education for assessment of growth of their kids and for providing proper and balanced nutrition to them.
High Risk Child OPD
Children visiting to OPD who are very sick (e.g. All emergency clinical conditions, High grade fever, continuous vomiting or loose motions) are given first priority and are immediately attended by Resident doctor and managed accordingly in the procedure room and immediately seen by consultant paediatrician also.
High Risk Infant Clinic
Noble Hospital provides a separate consultation facility dedicated for the high risk new-borns discharged from NICU: for their regular follow up, monitoring, assessment of growth, development, hearing and vision as well as for their vaccinations. This avoids delay in waiting for the delicate infants avoiding their contact with other children presenting to general OPD.
Follow Up OPD
During hospitalization admitted children as well as their parents suffer from mental and physical stress. Keeping this in mind, We provide separate follow up consultation facility for ease &convenience of paediatric patients discharged from PICU or Paediatric General Ward, ensuring their compliance to the post discharge medicines and instructions as well as ensuring complete recovery from the disease process, its prevention in future with special emphasis on their nutritional rehabilitation.
PEDIATRIC EMERGENCY SERVICES
Though every medical emergency is EMERGENCY but in Paediatricemergency every second counts. Noble Hospital understands this and is open (365 days, 24×7) for all paediatric emergencies providing: Emergency medical Services to all paediatric patients presenting to Emergency/Casualty Department, all attended by educated and trained paediatricians and guided by senior consultants.
HOSPITAL ADMISSION FOR CHILDREN
Noble Hospital has a state of art 20 beddedPaediatric general ward for hospitalized children. It also has facility for admitting sick children in semi-private, private, deluxe and super-deluxe rooms.
Hospitalizing a child cause mental trauma to the parents but it is needed for betterment of your sick child. To make you and your child comfortable our caring nursing & medical staff is always there. Parents are informed at time of admission about provisional diagnosis, plan of care, investigations and management. Keeping in mind parental anxiety, they are briefed and counselled twice a day regarding the progress and development, by senior paediatricians. The ward is attended and taken care 24×7 by paediatric resident doctors. The Unit gets around 900-1000 admissions in a year. The unit gets about 2,000 admissions in a year. All the consultants manage these babies as per their admission days. Paediatric services are kept at an affordable level.
Dr P.D. Pote has designed the Paediatric General Ward keeping every important aspect of hospitalized children in mind, making it very spacious, with child friendly environment having brightly painted walls with colourful charts, cartoon cut-outs and posters adorning the walls. The ward is equipped with toys and games to keep the child patient entertained, happy and stress free… The ward is Resident Doctor friendly as well, providing excellent working environment and monitoring facilities for them.
Children presenting with critical illnesses need intensive monitoring, care and treatment, which is provided in PICU. Noble Hospital proudly has the only Paediatric Intensive Care Set Up (including ventilators and equipment’s) in this densely populated part of the city, providing intensive care (includes medical, speciality medical, surgical and speciality surgical intensive care also) to critically ill kids in and around this part of city with a radius of 200 Km. This also caters emergency retrieval and intensive care to children with Road Traffic Accidents on Pune-Solapur, Pune-Baramati and Pune-Nagar Highways. We also have facility of providing post-operative care to children undergoing major surgeries. In Every critically ill child initial time period is very vital, which is very well taken care by our intensivists.
During the stay of children in PICU, their parents face a lot of stress. Noble Hospital respects their concern and hence it has ensured a well-equipped state – of – the – art Paediatric intensive care unit providing care to both paediatric medical as well as surgical patients.
The number of PICU inpatients, 40-50 per month, has a variegated profile. The more frequent indications for PICU admissions are Polytrauma with road traffic accidents, traumatic and non-traumatic coma, respiratory failures from pneumonias, asthma, congenital heart diseases, myocarditis, septic shock, diabetic ketoacidosis, liver diseases, renal failure, foreign body aspiration, accidental poisoning and animal bites. Children undergoing major paediatric surgery are monitored in the PICU peri-operatively. The PICU has trained staff, sophisticated equipment like infusion pumps, syringe pumps, Multipara, NIBP, Pulsox monitors and ventilators, and extensive back up facilities like blood gas, micro lab assays, ultrasound machines, bedside X-ray, bedside 2D-Echo, advanced haematological, serological, biochemical and advanced microbiological testing. We have a 4 bedded PICU with following facilities:-
- 24-hours trained paediatric intensivists caring for critically ill children.
- 3 Latest generation ventilators and equipment (Multipara, Pulsoximeters, Infusion pumps, syringe pumps etc.)
- Facilities for paediatric critical care sub- specialties e.g. Paediatric Surgery, Intensive care, Nephrology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Infectious disease specialist.
- Facilities for procedures during critical care (e.g. Endotracheal intubation, Central line insertion, Lumbar puncture, Thoracocentesis and Intercostal drain insertion, Ventricular tap, Arterial line insertion, Defibrillation etc.)
- Management (Diagnostic, Therapeutic interventions and Monitoring) is standardised and protocol based.
- Standard and Prompt diagnostic modality support like urgent bedside X-rays, bedside USG and 2D-Echo, bedside Arterial Blood Gas Analyser, and other laboratory support. Major radio diagnostic support (CT, MRI, Reflux Studies), Endoscopies, colonoscopies under one roof
- Well-trained and experienced, age specific nursing staff
- Facilities for children with trauma and burns.
- Facilities for peritoneal dialysis
State of art Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU):
In Every Human life, Neonatal period is the most critical and susceptible period which needs maximum care. Noble hospital has a great proud to have the only NICU set up in this part of the city catering to large population.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit has trained staff, sophisticated equipment like warmers, incubators, pumps, and ventilators, and extensive back up facilities like blood gas, micro lab assays, ultrasound machines, bedside X-ray, bedside 2D-Echo, advanced haematological, serological, biochemical and advanced microbiological testing. It is a 12 bedded State of art NICU with 4 bedded step down unit. NICU is looked after by qualified neonatologists, paediatricians and well trained, age-specific nursing staff. Our NICU provides following services and facilities (both medical and surgical) to sick new-borns.
- Surfactant administration
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
- Functional Echocardiography
- Bedside Neurosonography
- Ventilator Management
- Phototherapy – Conventional / LED / Bili blanket
- Bubble CPAP system
- Care of Micropremies (elbws, vlbws and lbws)
- Post-operative care to new-borns undergoing major surgeries.
- Facilities for procedures during critical care (e.g. Endotracheal intubation, Surfactant administration, Partial Exchange Transfusion, Double Volume Exchange Transfusion, Umbillical Vein and Artery Catheter insertion, Lumbar puncture, Thoracocentesis and Intercostal drain insertion, Ventricular tap, Arterial line insertion, etc.)
- ROP screening (Retinopathy of Prematurity) for sick, premature neonates ensuring normal vision for them.
- Neonatal Database Management
- Neonatal Clinical Research
- Training opportunities in the NICU
- New-born Transport
- Retrieval of new-borns from nearby and surrounding nursing homes and hospitals
- New-born Good Health Packages
- Twice daily counselling sessions for parents and relatives
Paediatric Surgery and Speciality Surgery
Paediatric surgery is a subspecialty of surgery involving the surgery of fetuses, infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. All the facilities to take care of babies needing surgery are available under one roof. Well- equipped operation theatres with state of the art infrastructure, an experienced team of doctors to provide round-the-clock medical care and excellent post-operative supportive care in the form of a tertiary care NICU and PICU is also available for sick and critical neonates and children.
Noble Hospital is proud to have a renowned team of Paediatric surgeons who specialize in various types of Paediatric surgeries such as:
- Paediatric General Surgery –for congenital malformations (like TO Fistula, anorectal malformations, intestinal and duodenal atresias-perforatios, diaphragmatic hernia, etc.), Acute appendicitis, cholecystitis, intestinal obstruction and perforation, inguinal and umbilical hernia, polytrauma with blunt trauma to abdominal viscera- liver, spleen, kidneys etc.
- Paediatric Cardiothoracic Surgery –for congenital heart diseases, rheumatic heart diseases
- Paediatric Cosmetic Surgery –for burns, clws, degloving injuries in RTA etc.
- Paediatric Neurosurgery –for rtas with traumatic brain injuries (TBI), icsolsetc.
- Paediatric Urological Surgery –for phimosis, undescended testes, hypospadiasis, obstructive uropathies, PUJ obstruction, Hydro nephrosis, Posterior urethral Valve etc.
Paediatric Neurology and Neurosurgery Facilities
Noble hospital provides care to kids with common paediatric neurological problems both on OPD basis as well as on IPD basis:
- Febrile Seizures (Simple and Complex), Unprovoked Seizures ( Acute Symptomatic / Remote Symptomatic / Idiopathic Epilepsy), Status Epilepticus
- Acute Pyogenic Meningitis, Tuberculous Meningitis, Viral Meningoencephalitis, Encephalopathies etc.
- Cerebrovascular accidents (stroke) with hemiplegia.
- Paraplegia, Quadriplegia, Cerebral Palsies, Neuroregression Disorders, floppy infants
- Rtas with traumatic brain injuries (TBI), icsils(brain tumours), Spine surgeries
- Hydrocephalus for VP shunt surgeries, Craniosynostosis
Paediatric Ophthalmology is a sub-specialty of ophthalmology concerned with eye diseases, visual development, and vision care in children. The Paediatric Ophthalmology Department at Noble Hospital deals with many eye problems in children, right from the new-born period in form of ROP screening (Retinopathy of Prematurity). Our state-of-the-art, child-friendly environment helps us successfully treat children.
- Major Eye Surgeries
- Minor Eye Surgeries
Ophthalmology services offered:
- Assessment and management of refractive errors.
- Management of other common eye problems like conjunctivitis, eye injuries, eye infections
- ROP screening (Retinopathy of Prematurity).
- Assessment and management of squint
- Probing and Syringing
Child Psychiatric Services
At Noble Hospital, we deal with the following child psychiatric problems:-
- Behaviour problems – Temper tantrums, holding of breathe etc.
- Habit problems – Thumb sucking, bedwetting etc.
- Personality Problems – Antisocial personality, aggressiveness,
- Excessive Shyness, withdrawn behaviour etc.
- Intellectual Problems – Mental retardation, borderline intelligence, and gifted children with emotional and behavioural problems.
- Neurological Problems – Learning disorders, ADHD,ADD, Autism
- Psychosomatic Problems – Psychosomatic problems
- Speech Disorders – Stammering, stuttering, lisping etc.
- Neuroses – Hysteria, phobia, depression, OCD etc.
- Children in Crisis – Parents separation, death of parents, lost children, children who have weathered a disaster
- Developmental Problems – Clumsiness Breath holding Tics, mannerisms
- Speech/articulation Stuttering/Stammering elective mutism Echolalia Language (expressive) Language (receptive) Language (Deviant) Inability to relate to people Inability to play with children Feeding problems
- Conduct Disorder – stubbornness, Disobedient, Disruptive ,Quarrelsome aggressive, Temper tantrums ,Truancy ,Laying & stealing
- Emotional – Day dreaming, Withdrawn ,Talks little ,Worrying, Anxious ,Shyness/timidity, Fearful ,Clinging ,Cries easily
- Somatic – Dizziness, Aches and Pains, Tiredness ,Stomach ache, Fainting Spells, fits Pulling, sensation, chronic physical illness, Physical handicaps
- Psychoses – Loss of interest, Psychomotor retardation ,Depression ,Pressure of ideas, Irritable, Elated, Hallucinations, Catatonic feature, Delusions, Talking/laughing to self, Poor appetite ,Poor sleep , Incontinence.
- Enuresis Primary, secondary, Encopresis, Sleeping problem.
- Children with chronic/terminal illnesses and disabilities
Paediatric ENT Services
The department Of ENT at Noble Hospital deals with the full spectrum of paediatric ENT disorders including:
- ENT OPD as well as IPD and surgery facilities for paediatric patients
- Discharging ears (ASOM, CSOM), hearing disorders, Middle ear and mastoid surgery, Tympanoplasty.
- Ossiculoplasty and stapedectomy
- Balance disorders, Tinnitus
- Glue Ear in children, (Grommet insertion)
- Foreign bodies in ears
Throat, Nose, Sinus, Larynx and Bronchus problems:
- Rhinitis, Nasal Allergy, Nasal Obstruction, Sinusitis, Septal Surgery, Rhinoplasty, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery ( FESS), Endoscopic DCR, Endoscopic Ligation for epistaxis
- Foreign Bodies in nose and Rhinoliths
- Tonsillectomy, Adenoidectomy, Swallowing problems
- Foreign Bodies in larynx and Bronchus
The Paediatric Department is well supported for diagnostic imaging by a team of Radiologists with special experience in paediatric imaging in following domains
- Bed side Head Ultrasound (Neurosonography)
- Bed Side X ray Facility
- MRI and MR angio : Noble Hospital has 1.5 Tesla MRI facility with dedicated anaesthesiologist for ensuring proper sedation of paediatric patients during MRI study
- CT scan and CT Angio: Noble Hospital has 128 slice CT Scan facility with dedicated anaesthesiologist for ensuring proper sedation of paediatric patients during CT Scan study
- GER studies
- Micturating Cystourethrogram, IVP, Barium Meal, barium enema
- Abdominal, KUB, Pelvic and local Ultrasound
- Bedside 2D Echo & Colour Doppler of the heart: The colour Doppler of the heart is the easiest non-invasive way to pick up congenital heart defects.
Team of orthopedicians at Noble Hospital are effectively managing common paediatric orthopediatric problems such as:
- Traumatic Fractures, dislocations, malunions, non-unions, crush injuries, ligament tears, sprains
- Congenital malformations such as CDH (congenital dislocation of Hip), CTEV, Bow legs etc.
- Metabolic bone diseases
- Infectious conditions like osteomyelitis, septic arthritis etc.
- Rheumatological conditions like juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
The focus of all work done at Paediatric Physiotherapy Dept. in our hospital is enabling each child to achieve his/her potential. Early detection & early intervention are important steps in this direction.
Physiotherapy is provided to facilitate and stimulate normal motor, mental & social development in order to improve the quality of life.
The goals of Physiotherapy are:
- Development Of Motor Behaviour
- Normalization of tone
- Development of motor skills
- Gross motor co-ordination
- Fine motor co- ordination
- Hand function
- Sensory Perceptual Integration
- Development of body image
- Visual perception
- Provision of splints
- ADL training
We treat following patients like:
- Cerebral palsy
- Syndromes like DOWN’S Syndrome
- Mental retardation
- Spine problems like scoliosis, kyphosis
- Postural defects
We also provide Physiotherapy for high risk babies in NICU & PICU which is based on:
- Chest Physiotherapy
- Oral motor stimulation