Gastroenterology and GI Surgery is devoted to the clinical care of patients with the digestive system, gastrointestinal land liver disorders. The gastroenterology surgeons offer expert care in both Medical and Surgical Gastroenterology. The Department possesses a modern state of art equipment backed by advanced intensive care units.
What conditions are attended to in Gastroenterology?
You could seek consultation either based on your symptoms or if you know you have a diagnosed condition by a Gastroenterologist.
Symptoms such as the following will always find a conclusive treatment plan with us:
- Burning pain in the chest
- Nausea & vomiting
- Dyspepsia (usually referred to as “acidity”, “gas” & “bloating”)
- Symptoms related to difficulty in swallowing
- Jaundice & all kinds of Hepatitis
- Unexplained weight loss
- Collection of fluid in the abdomen (called ascites, by your doctor)
- Acute (sudden short term) as well as chronic diarrhoeas
- Bleeding in the stools
- Digestive symptoms related to Obesity and Weight Gain
- Medical problems related to alcohol use, abuse & dependency
- Screening for cancers of the digestive tracts of the patient with a family history
Often, physicians refer to specific issues for the expert opinion of a Gastroenterologist. Some of these are
- Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Ulcer Dyspepsia
- Acute Hepatitis of all forms
- Specialized treatment to cure Hepatitis B & C
- Liver Cirrhosis
- Cancers of the digestive tract (Like colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, cancer of the food pipe & stomach, etc.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (like Ulcerative Colitis & Crohn’s disease)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Endoscopy refers to the passing of flexible plastic endoscopes through the mouth (“Gastroscopy”) or anus (“Colonoscopy”) to view or take samples also called biopsies and treat the accessible parts of the gut. ERCP involves the passage of a flexible endoscope through the mouth into the bile ducts that drain the liver using instruments that are sophisticated and contain certain optical fibers or electronic wires enabling the doctor to see the interior of the body. In this way, ulcers, polyps (growths) or cancers can be diagnosed, as well as a variety of other digestive ailments.
At Noble Hospital, we have an extremely efficient high volume Endoscopy unit which has recorded a consistent incremental annual growth of 13-15% per year. This has been possible due to our practice of efficient Management Principles for WorkFlow.
We have also in place, periodically updated Clinical Pathways for ALL endoscopic procedures, which will assure you uniform care, whoever be it dealing with your case on a given day. We are proud of the fact that we are punctual and courteous. We are sensitive to the needs of the elderly as well as specially enabled persons. We train our staff using validated protocols for having the cleanest sterile Endoscopy services.
Procedures done in the Department are:
The following therapeutic endoscopic procedures offered in the Department are:
- Biopsies (taking samples of digestive organs to look for microscopic evidence of disease)
- Sclerotherapy (injection to stop bleeding from ruptured veins & ulcers)
- Dilatation (widening the passage for safe passage of food; if narrowed down)
- Polyp removal (polyps are small growths found incidentally, but are removed as they may later turn to cancer)
- ERCP with procedures for relief of obstructive jaundice & pancreatic pain.
Cases with complicated digestive disease:
The Department of Gastroenterology, networks with other specialties like Intensive Care, Oncology, Nephrology, Surgery, Internal Medicine, etc. manages patients with serious problems like
- Acute Pancreatitis
- Liver Failure
- Bleeding for ulcers, even in the setting of cardiac or renal disease
- Medical management of Ulcerative Colitis aimed to save patients from surgical removal of the colon
Quality Control & Training:
The Department has an atmosphere which encourages its staff in Evidence-Based Medicine. We believe that if our staff is up-to-date with the current status of treatment in the world today, anyone will be able to answer your questions regarding your medical problem.
Nursing assistants undergo a structured and supervised SOP based training in the handling of equipment; they participate in Treatment Protocols that are based on current standards of the best hospitals in the country. They are encouraged to incorporate newer knowledge as well as technologies to make care easier as well as cost-effective.
As we are proud of our growth figure in absolute numbers as far as procedures are concerned, we are also proud of the fact the cost of “being fast” is not paid by “remaining incomplete”. When you are being treated in a Department which values Knowledge Management, you can be assured your treatment will always be contemporary.
Patients leave satisfied with the quality of care & completeness of advice they get regarding their condition.
You can demand from us, the current status of management of your condition; but also, you could specifically ask for more data on our Department’s track record with your diagnosis, so you are assured of your safety as well as results.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Dr. Nitin Pai
Dr. Suhas Wagle
Dr. Kiran Shinde (Patil)
Dr. Sahil Rasane
Dr Mahesh Madhavrao Thombare
Dr Gandhi Vidyachandra
DNB Surgical Gastroenterologist