Thermal Laser (Argon and Krypton) – Heat generated from this process is used to seal blood vessels that are leaking, destroying abnormal tissues, bonding of the retina and the back of the eye, glaucoma treatment – open eye’s filtration system and create opening in iris for narrow angle glaucoma.
Photodisruptive Laser (YAG and Excimer) – The sharpness of the light cuts and sculpts the tissue under consideration. It is used to cut thin membrane in the eye-blocking the vision and change in shape of the eye’s surface.
With the types of lasers established, one needs to understand the advantages of using laser in Ophthalmology to understand the role.
- No risk of infection
- No hospitalization needed, allowing you to go home shortly
- Gives control to surgeon in terms of precision and control
The following issues are treated with Laser:
- Retinal tears -: “The retina is the inner layer of the eye that senses light and helps you see, if the retina tears it can separate it from the back wall of the eyes, known as Detached Retina, it can cause you to lose sight” – eyecareamerica.org.
- Diabetic Retinopathy -: “Eye diseases from diabetes is a major cause of vision loss, it causes the blood vessels in the retina to grow abnormally, the vessels can leak fluid or bleed inside the eye” – eyecareamerica.org.
- Macular Degeneration -: a small centrally located are of the retina that helps us in seeing fine details clearly. This area affected causes vision blur in reading.
- Retinal Vein Occlusions
- Central serous retinopathy
- Tumors of the eye
Laser eye surgery in Pune has been a boon to the department of ophthalmology, especially in India with more patients being open to the procedure, calling it hassle free, ridding them of their glasses. However, the success of the laser therapy depends on the condition of the disorder in the eye.
Noble Hospital which is working towards a better and healthy future.