Pediatric Surgery in Pune
The Department of Pediatrics strives for betterment of child health through its activities in various clinical, academic and research activities. The department is headed by an eminent Pediatrician and Academician- Dr. P. D. Pote M D, Director and Senior Consultant Pediatricain who has been serving to the field of Pediatrics and Neonatology since last 30 years. The Team working under his guidance includes highly qualified and trained pediatricians, neonatologists, resident doctors and age specific nursing staff.
The Department provides its services broadly in following domains:
Pediatric General and Specialities OPDs
Pediatric Emergency Medical Services
Pediatric Indoor services- Pediatric General Ward, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
A. PEDIATRIC OPD SERVICES
Out Patient Department:
The Pediatric OPD of Noble Hospital (No. 12 & 18) has prime location on the ground floor of the hospital building with spacious and children friendly design. Children never stay calm at one place and always are on tip of their toes to stroll around. The large & beautiful play area allows children to play and move around during the waiting time. The OPD and waiting area has been thoughtfully designed by The Director of Pediatrics, Dr. P.D. Pote, keeping in mind the need of space for children and parents both.
Emergency patients are given preference. The appointment system is managed in an effective way to cut down waiting time with equal justice to walk in patients.
Noble Hospital is also extending the Pediatric OPD and Immunization services to kids on daily basis at its Branch, Noble Polyclinic at Destination Centre in Magarpatta City.
OPD Timings: Noble Hospital is Unique in its class for conducting Pediatric OPD even on Sundays as there is no time-bound for kids to become sick. Sunday OPD also provides convenience to the parents who are busy on weekdays for immunising their kids.
The OPD is open every day from 8:00am to 9:00pm (Sunday 9:00am to 3:00pm) and is attended by qualified, experienced and Senior Consultant Pediatricians. In order to minimise inconvenience and waiting period, OPDs are conducted simultaneously in two different chambers, by two consultant paediatricians at a time providing quick service to sick children.
Speciality Pediatric OPDs:
- Pediatric Surgery
- Pediatric Neurology and Neurosurgery
- Pediatric Ophthalmology
- Pediatric Nephrology
- High Risk Infant Clinic
- High Risk Child OPD
- Healthy Baby Clinic
- Immunuzation Clinic
- Pediatric Nutrition
- Pediatric Psychiatry
- Pediatric ENT
- Pediatric Plastic Surgery
Healthy Baby Clinic
Noble Hospital follows the principle “prevention is better than cure” by conducting comprehensive preventive Healthy baby clinic. It is conducted daily (except Sunday) for healthy babies who are advised to visit their doctor at a specific scheduled time (starting at 4 weeks, then every month for the first 6 months, then every quarter till 2 years, then every 6 months till 12 years of age) for a comprehensive preventive program which includes:
- Periodic assessment of their growth (with the help of growth charts), nutritional status and development. It also helps for scheduling their immunizations and addressing parental concerns (like feeding, bathing, massage, frequency of urine and stools, growth, developmental milestones, teething, nutrition, etc). This OPD provides sufficient time for educating parents for caring their babies during sick period (eg: fever control, care of hydration, monitoring for urine output, relieving nasal blockade etc.) and also educating them for assessing danger signs in their children, advising on Breast feeding practices, weaning practices, diet and nutrition.
- Healthy baby clinic also gives an opportunity to screen children for early signs of disease (like anemia, heart murmur, etc.), to conduct their behavioral assessment and counsel them on child psychology and child behaviour related problems.
Immunization, being one of the most precious inventions in human life till date, is an important aspect of Pediatrics, for prevention of diseases in your child. Emphasizing importance of prevention of communicable diseases in your kids, Noble Hospital conducts a separate Immunization clinic, conducted daily including Sundays. Sunday OPD also provides convenience to the parents who are busy on weekdays for immunising their kids.
In Immunization clinic thorough information is given to parents regarding:
- vaccination schedule for both mandatory and optional vaccines.
- options of combination vaccines
- post vaccination care & monitoring
- possible side effects after vaccines & its management
- vaccine recommendations in Special situations etc.
Noble Hospital makes available the only standard and reputed brands of vaccine. The suggested schedule may be modified by your Doctor as per the need. Immunization can be given in the presence of a minor illness.
Growth & Nutrition
Department of paediatrics Noble hospital in collaboration with Department of Diet and Nutrition conducts a comprehensive programme and counselling sessions of parental education for assessment of growth of their kids and for providing proper and balanced nutrition to them.
High Risk Child OPD
Children visiting to OPD who are very sick (eg. All emergency clinical conditions, High grade fever, continuous vomiting or loose motions) are given first priority and are immediately attended by Resident doctor and managed accordingly in the procedure room and immediately seen by consultant paediatrician also.
High Risk Infant Clinic
Noble Hospital provides a separate consultation facility dedicated for the high risk newborns discharged from NICU: for their regular follow up, monitoring, assessment of growth, development, hearing and vision as well as for their vaccinations. This avoids delay in waiting for the delicate infants avoiding their contact with other children presenting to general OPD
Follow Up OPD
During hospitalization admitted children as well as their parents suffer from mental and physical stress. Keeping this in mind, We provide separate follow up consultation facility for ease & convinience of pediatric patients discharged from PICU or Pediatric General Ward, ensuring their compliance to the post discharge medicines and instructions as well as ensuring complete recovery from the disease process, its prevention in future with special emphasis on their nutritional rehabilitation.
B. PEDIATRIC EMERGENCY SERVICESThough every medical emergency is EMERGENCY but in Pediatric emergrncy every second counts. Noble Hospital understands this and is open (365 days, 24x7) for all pediatric emergencies providing: Emergency medical Services to all pediatric patients presenting to Emergency/Casualty Department, all attended by educated and trained paediatricians and guided by senior consultants.
C. HOSPITAL ADMISSION FOR CHILDREN
Noble Hospital has a state of art 20 beded Pediatric general ward for hospitalized children. It also has facility for admitting sick children in semi-private, private, deluxe and super-deluxe rooms.
Hospitalizing a child cause mental trauma to the parents but it is needed for betterment of your sick child. To make you and your child comfortable our caring nursing & medical staff is always there. Parents are informed at time of admission about provisional diagnosis, plan of care, investigations and management. Keeping in mind parental anxiety, they are briefed and counselled twice a day regarding the progress and development, by senior paediatricians. The ward is attended and taken care 24x7 by pediatric resident doctors. The Unit gets around 900-1000 admissions in a year. The unit gets about 2,000 admissions in a year. All the consultants manage these babies as per their admission days. Paediatric services are kept at an affordable level.
Dr P.D. Pote has designed the Pediatric General Ward keeping every important aspect of hospitalized children in mind, making it very spacious, with child friendly environment having brightly painted walls with colorful charts, cartoon cutouts and posters adorning the walls. The ward is equipped with toys and games to keep the child patient entertained, happy and stress free.. The ward is Resident Doctor friendly as well, providing excellent working environment and monitoring facilities for them.
Children presenting with critical illnesses need intensive monitoring, care and treatment, which is provided in PICU. Noble Hospital proudly has the only Pediatric Intensive Care Set Up (including ventilators and equipments) in this densely populated part of the city, providing intensive care (includes medical, speciality medical, surgical and speciality surgical intensive care also) to critically ill kids in and aound this part of city with a radius of 200 Km. This also caters emergency retrival and intensive care to children with Road Traffic Accidents on Pune-Solapur, Pune-Baramati and Pune-Nagar Highways. We also have facility of providing post-operative care to children undergoing major surgeries. In Every critically ill child initial time period is very vital, which is very well taken care by our intensivists.
During the stay of children in PICU, their parents face a lot of stress. Noble Hospital respects their concern and hence it has ensured a well equipped state – of – the – art Pediatric intensive care unit providing care to both pediatric medical as well as surgical patienst.
The number of PICU inpatients, 40-50 per month, has a variegated profile. The more frequent indications for PICU admissions are Polytrauma with road traffic accidents, traumatic and non-traumatic coma, respiratory failures from pneumonias, asthma, congenital heart diseases, myocarditis, septic shock, diabetic ketoacidosis, liver diseases, renal failure, foreign body aspiration, accidental poisoning and animal bites. Children undergoing major pediatric surgery are monitored in the PICU peri-operatively. The PICU has trained staff, sophisticated equipments like infusion pumps, syringe pumps, Multipara, NIBP, Pulsox monitors and ventilators, and extensive back up facilities like blood gas, micro lab assays, ultrasound machines, bedside X-ray, bedside 2D-Echo, advanced hematological, serological, biochemical and advanced microbiological testing.We have a 4 bedded PICU with following facilities:-
- 24-hours trained pediatric intensivists caring for critically ill children.
- 3 Latest generation ventilators and equipments (Multipara, Pulsoximeters, Infusion pumps, syringe pumps etc.)
- Facilities for pediatric critical care sub- specialties e.g. Pediatric Surgery, Intensive care, Nephrology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Infectious disease specialist.
- Facilities for procedures during critical care (eg. Endotracheal intubation, Central line insertion, Lumbar puncture, Thoracocentesis and Intercostal drain insertion, Ventricular tap, Arterial line insertion, Defibrillation etc.)
- Management (Diagnostic, Therapeutic interventions and Monitoring) is standardised and protocol based.
- Standard and Prompt diagnostic modality support like urgent bedside X-rays, bedside USG and 2D-Echo, bedside Arterial Blood Gas Analyser, and other laboratory support. Major radiodiagnostic support (CT, MRI, Reflux Studies), Endoscopies, colonoscopies under one roof
- Well-trained and experienced, age specific nursing staff
- Facilities for children with trauma and burns.
- Facilities for peritoneal dialysis
State of art Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU):
In Every Human life, Neonatal period is the most critical and susceptible period which needs maximum care. Noble hospital has a great proud to have the only NICU set up in this part of the city catering to large population.
The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit has trained staff, sophisticated equipments like warmers, incubators, pumps, and ventilators, and extensive back up facilities like blood gas, micro lab assays, ultrasound machines, bedside X-ray, bedside 2D-Echo, advanced hematological, serological, biochemical and advanced microbiological testing. It is a 12 beded State of art NICU with 4 beded step down unit. NICU is looked after by qualified neonatologists, pediatricians and well trained, age-specific nursing staff. Our NICU provides following services and facilities (both medical and surgical) to sick newborns.
- Surfactant administration
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
- Functional Echocardiography
- Bedside Neurosonography
- Ventilator Management
- Phototherapy – Conventional / LED / Biliblanket
- Bubble CPAP system
- Care of Micropremies (ELBWs, VLBWs and LBWs)
- Post operative care to newborns undergoing major surgeries.
- Facilities for procedures during critical care (eg. Endotracheal intubation, Surfactant administration, Partial Exchange Transfusion, Double Volume Exchange Transfusion, Umbillical Vein and Artery Catheter insertion, Lumbar puncture, Thoracocentesis and Intercostal drain insertion, Ventricular tap, Arterial line insertion, etc.)
- ROP screening (Retinopathy of Prematurity) for sick, premature neonates ensuring normal vision for them.
- Neonatal Database Management
- Neonatal Clinical Research
- Training opportunities in the NICU
- Newborn Transport
- Retrieval of newborns from nearby and surrounding nursing homes and hospitals
- Newborn Good Health Packages
- Twice daily counselling sessions for parents and relatives.
Pediatric Surgery and Speciality Surgery
- Pediatric surgery is a subspecialty of surgery involving the surgery of fetuses, infants, children, adolescents, and young adults. All the facilities to take care of babies needing surgery are available under one roof. Well- equipped operation theatres with state of the art infrastructure, an experienced team of doctors to provide round-the-clock medical care and excellent post operative supportive care in the form of a tertiary care NICU and PICU is also available for sick and critical neonates and children.
- Noble Hospital is proud to have a renowned team of Pediatric surgeons who specialize in various types of Pediatric surgeries such as:
- Pediatric general surgery: for congenital malformations (like TO Fistula, anorectal malformatios, intestinal and duodenal atresias-perforatios, diaphragmatic hernia, etc), Acute appendicitis, cholecystitis, intestinal obstruction and perforation, inguinal and umbilical hernia, polytrauma with blunt trauma to abdominal viscera- liver, spleen, kidneys etc
- Pediatric cardiothoracic surgery: for congenital heart diseases, rheumatic heart diseases
- pediatric cosmetic surgery: for burns, CLWs, degloving injuries in RTA etc
- pediatric neurosurgery: for RTAs with traumatic brain injuries (TBI), ICSOLs etc
- pediatric urological surgery- for phimosis, undescended testes, hypospadiasis, obstructive uropathies, PUJ obstruction, Hydronephrosis, Posterior urethral Valve etc.
Pediatric Neurology and Neurosurgery Facilities:
Noble hospital provides care to kids with common pediatric neurological problems both on OPD basis as well as on IPD basis:
- Febrile Seizures (Simple and Complex), Unprovoked Seizures ( Acute Symptomatic / Remote Symptomatic / Idiopathic Epilepsy), Status Epilepticus
- Acute Pyogenic Meningitis, Tuberculous Meningitis, Viral Meningoencephalitis, Encephalopathies etc
- Cerebrovascular accidents (stroke) with hemiplegia.
- Paraplegia, Quadrplegia, Cerebral Palsies, Neuroregression Disorders, floppy infants
- RTAs with traumatic brain injuries (TBI), ICSOLs (brain tumors), Spine surgeries
- Hydrocephalus for VP shunt surgeries, Craniosynostosis
Pediatric ophthalmology is a sub-specialty of ophthalmology concerned with eye diseases, visual development, and vision care in children. The Pediatric Ophthalmology Department at Noble Hospital deals with many eye problems in children, right from the newborn period in form of ROP screening (Retinopathy of Prematurity). Our state-of-the-art, child-friendly environment helps us successfully treat children.
Major Eye surgeries
Minor Eye surgeries
Ophthalmology services offered:
- Assessment and management of refractive errors.
- Management of other common eye problems like conjunctivitis, eye injuries, eye infections
- ROP screening (Retinopathy of Prematurity).
- Assessment and management of squint
- Probing and Syringing
Child Psychiatric services
At Noble Hospital, we deal with the following child psychiatric problems:-
- Behavior problems: - Temper tantrums, holding of breath etc.
- Habit problems: - Thumb sucking, bedwetting etc.
- Personality problems: - Antisocial personality, aggressiveness,
- Excessive shyness, withdrawn behavior etc.
- Intellectual problems: - Mental retardation, borderline intelligence, and gifted children with emotional and behavioral problems.
- Neurological problems:- Learning disorders, ADHD,ADD, Autism
- Psychosomatic problems:- Stomach aches, chest aches, urinary etc; without any organic problem.
- Speech disorders: - Stammering, stuttering, lisping etc.
- Neuroses: - Hysteria, phobia, depression, OCD etc.
- Children in crisis: - Parents separation, death of parents, lost children, children who have weathered a disaster.
- Developmental Problems:- Clumsiness Breath holding Tics, mannerisms
- Speech/articulation Stuttering/Stammering elective mutism Echolalia Language (expressive) Language (receptive) Language (Deviant) Inability to relate to people Inability to play with children Feeding problems
- Conduct Disorder:- stubbornness, Disobedient, Disruptive ,Quarrelsome aggressive, Temper tantrums ,Truancy ,Laying & stealing
- Emotional :- Day dreaming, Withdrawn ,Talks little ,Worrying, Anxious ,Shyness/timidity, Fearful ,Clinging ,Cries easily
- Somatic:- Dizziness, Aches and Pains, Tiredness ,Stomach ache, Fainting Spells, fits Pulling, sensation, chronic physical illness, Physical handicaps
- Psychoses:- Loss of interest, Psychomotor retardation ,Depression ,Pressure of ideas, Irritable, Elated, Hallucinations, Catatonic feature, Delusions, Talking/laughing to self, Poor appetite ,Poor sleep , Incontinence.
- Enuresis Primary, secondary, Encoresis, Sleeping problem.
- Children with chronic/terminal illnesses and disabilities
Pediatric ENT Services:
The department Of ENT at Noble Hospital deals with the full spectrum of pediatric ENT disorders including:
ENT OPD as well as IPD and surgery facilities for pediatric patients
- Discharging ears (ASOM, CSOM), hearing disorders, Middle ear and mastoid surgery, Tympanoplasty.
- Ossiculoplasty and stapedectomy
- Balance disorders, Tinnitus
- Glue Ear in children, (Grommet insertion)
- Foreign bodies in ears
Throat, Nose, Sinus, Larynx and Bronchus problems:
- Rhinitis, Nasal Allergy, Nasal Obstruction, Sinusitis, Septal Surgery, Rhinoplasty, Endoscopic Sinus Surgery ( FESS), Endoscopic DCR, Endoscopic Ligation for epistaxis
- Foreign Bodies in nose and Rhinoliths
- Tonsillectomy, Adenoidectomy, Swallowing problems
- Foreign Bodies in larynx and Bronchus
The Pediatric Department is well supported for diagnostic imaging by a team of Radiologists with special experience in pediatric imaging in following domains
- Bed side Head Ultrasound (Neurosonography)
- Bed Side X ray Facillity
- MRI and MR angio : Noble Hospital has 1.5 Tesla MRI facillity with dedicated anaesthesiologist for ensuring proper sedation of pediatric patients during MRI study
- CT scan and CT Angio: Noble Hospital has 128 slice CT Scan facillity with dedicated anaesthesiologist for ensuring proper sedation of pediatric patients during CT Scan study
- GER studies
- Micturating Cystourethrogram, IVP, Barium Meal, barium enema
- Abdominal, KUB, Pelvic and local Ultrasound:
- Bedside 2D Echo & Colour Doppler of the heart: The colour Doppler of the heart is the easiest non invasive way to pick up congenital heart defects.
Team of orthopedicians at Noble Hospital are effectively managing common pediatric orthopediatric problems such as:
- Traumatic Fractures, dislocations, malunions, non unions, crush injuries, ligamental tears, sprains
- Congenital malformations such as CDH (congenital dislocation of Hip), CTEV, Bow legs etc
- metabolic bone diseases
- Infectious conditions like osteomyelitis, septic arthritis etc
- Rheumatological conditions like juvenile rheumatoid arthritis
- The focus of all work done at Pediatric Physiotherapy Dept in our hospital is enabling each child to achieve his/her potential. Early detection & early intervention are important steps in this direction.
- Physiotherapy is provided to facilitate and stimulate normal motor, mental & social development in order to improve the quality of life.
The goals of Physiotherapy are:
DEVELOPMENT OF MOTOR BEHAVIOR
- Normalization of tone
- Improvement of: Range, Muscle power, Posture
- Development of motor skills
- Gross motor co-ordination
- Fine motor co- ordination
- Hand function
SENSORY PERCEPTUAL INTEGRATION
- Development of body image
- Visual perception
- Provision of splints
- ADL training
We treat following patients like:
- Cerebral palsy
- Syndromes like DOWN’S Syndrome
- Mental retardation
- Spine problems like scoliosis, kyphosis
- Postural defects
We also provide Physiotherapy for high risk babies in NICU & PICU which is based on:
- Chest Physiotherapy
- Oral motor stimulation
- Dr Pralhad Pote
- Dr Asmita Nagarkar
- Dr Sarvesh Jawlekar